Saturday, May 01, 2004

Smell-O-Rama

While out on my daily walks I've had the chance to sample the many and varied aromas of my neighborhood: laundry, cinnamon(?!), barbecue, freshly mown grass and it's evil twin ChemLawn. That shit makes the back of my throat seize up like a mofo.

In my tiny little hamlet, there's been talk that the three lakes of the village have been getting damaged by the Canadian Geese that like to hang out. We have some in our smaller lake in the back yard as well. There been an increase in algae that they think is coming from the goose crap, so they either want to shoot the geese, or put out feed that causes the goose eggs to die. Like the geese one day said -- "hey, I know, lets start going to those lakes!" They've been here longer than the village, dumbass. I think some folks just don't like all the noise they make this time of year because it's egg laying time and they get very territorial when other geese try to come around their nests.

Then, somebody pointed out that, because the lakes are all fed by the runoff drains and storm sewers from the rest of the village that perhaps the lakes were getting filled up with lawn chemicals. Hmmm... you think? Every time I walk by these run-off after a rain, I can see and smell the shit in the water.

Since then, things have been quiet from the "kill the geese" camp, although I know they'll make a comeback soon enough...

No comments: